We recommend printing these steps in order to help you get the required information together before starting the electronic MPN process.
Remember, by signing an MPN you are agreeing to pay back Direct Subsidized Loans, Unsubsidized Loans that you receive to pay for your education, or any Direct Parent PLUS Loans that you receive to pay for your child's education.
- LOG IN TO eMPN - You will need to log in using your U.S. Department of Education's FSA ID to confirm
your identity. If you do not have a FSA ID, you will be directed to the Department
of Education’s site to apply for one..
- DISCLOSURE AND CONSENT - When you return to the electronic MPN web site, you will be asked to read information
about using an electronic FSA ID and to tell us whether or not you agree to use an
- PROVIDE NAME AND SCHOOL (for Student Subsidized and Unsubsidized) - You will be asked to provide your full legal name and school information. You will
be able to review and modify this information if necessary before it is added to your
PROVIDE NAME, STUDENT'S INFORMATION, AND SCHOOL (for Parent PLUS Loans) - You will be asked to provide your full legal name, the student's full legal name, the student's social security number, the student's date of birth, and school information. You will be able to review and modify this information if necessary before it is added to your electronic MPN.
- COMPLETE MPN - During this step, you will be asked to provide the remaining information necessary
to complete your MPN. This will include your permanent address, driver's license number
and state, email address (if you have one) and telephone number. You will also be
asked to provide the names, addresses and telephone numbers of two references who
have known you for at least three years.
- REVIEW/READ DRAFT MPN - You will be asked to review/read a draft version of the MPN that will include the
information you provided in Step 4 and important information about the loan(s) you
may receive under your MPN. Before you continue with the electronic MPN process, you
must confirm that you have read the draft MPN, which includes the Borrower's Rights
- SIGN YOUR MPN - You will be asked to review the Promise to Pay section of the MPN and then electronically
sign the MPN by typing in your full name. You will still have the opportunity at this
point to modify the information you provided or to cancel the electronic MPN process.
- REVIEW SIGNED MPN/ENTER CONFIRMATION CODE - You will be shown a completed MPN that includes your electronic signature. Before
you can continue with the electronic MPN process, you must confirm that you have read
the completed MPN.
- CONFIRM ACCEPTANCE OF MPN TERMS AND SUBMIT MPN - You will be asked to confirm that you agree to the terms and conditions of your
MPN. You will also be given a final opportunity to cancel or modify your MPN. If you
agree to the terms and conditions of the MPN, you may complete the electronic MPN
process by submitting your MPN to the U.S. Department of Education.
- SUCCESS! NOW PRINT YOUR MPN - Your MPN is now complete. This page will provide instructions for:
• Printing and/or saving a copy of your completed MPN for your records
• Retrieving a copy of your completed MPN at a later date
• Asking us to send you a copy of your completed MPN
• Clearing your browser to remove your personal information from the • computer you used to complete your electronic MPN
Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN)