Complete the Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN)
The MPN is a promissory note that can be used to make one or more loans for one or more academic years (up to 10 years). A separate MPN is required for Direct Stafford loans, Graduate PLUS loans, and Parent PLUS loans.
Undergraduate Direct Stafford subsidized and unsubsidized borrowers under the Direct Loan Program will sign one promissory note which can be used for all of that program’s loans over multiple academic years.
Parent PLUS loan borrowers can only borrow this loan on a dependent undergraduate student's behalf. This loan is contingent upon creditworthiness.
All Direct Loan Master Promissory Notes (MPN) can be accessed and e-signed at the link below. We encourage you to read the Step by Step instructions below to understand how the electronic MPN process works. We estimate that it will take 30 minutes to complete the electronic MPN process. Make sure you allow enough time to complete the entire process in a single session. If you start the MPN and exit before submitting your signed MPN and return later, you will have to start over at the beginning.
Need help signing the Direct Loan Master Promissory Note?
Parent PLUS Loan
The Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan is a federal loan program offered by U.S. Department of Education available to parent(s) / step-parent of a dependent student to assist them in meeting their educational costs. To be eligible to apply, the parent borrower must not be in default on any federal education loans and be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen. The Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan requires a separate application, in addition to credit approval by the Department of Education.
Parent Plus LoanApplication Process
- Complete the Federal Direct Parent PLUS Application and return to Great Falls College MSU.
- Credit approval will be made by the Department of Education.
- If approved, Sign a Direct Parent PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN). If you need assistance completing the MPN, call the Direct Loan Origination Center at 1-800-557-7394.
- If the Direct Parent PLUS Loan credit decision is denied, the school is notified by the Department of Education.
- Direct Loans will automatically send the parent borrower an appeal packet outlining the steps to take to appeal the credit decision or to obtain an endorser for the Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan.
- If the credit decision is overridden, the Department of Education will automatically notify the school of the approval status. (refer to Step 3 above)
- If the Direct Parent PLUS credit decision or appeal is denied, the student is eligible to receive additional Unsubsidized Stafford loans.
- This option is not available to the student if one parent is denied and another parent is approved credit for a Direct Parent PLUS or if the parent pursues a credit override by submitting an appeal or gaining an endorser and is granted approval.